CNAME map to localhost question

Luke Hassell lukehassell at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 03:19:36 UTC 2001

Hello,

I have a peculiar DNS addition that needs some clarification.
For the past few months, I have been working with some folks
that use IP tunneling extensively.  The tunneling behaves very
much like port forwarding in SSH.

Here's the trick: due to tunneling, clients will connect to their
localhost (127.0.0.1) for the tunnel to work (specifically http
traffic).  I would like to add a CNAME record in corporate
DNS that points a meaningful name to "localhost".  This would
provide a better URL than

   http://localhost:1234

So my question for this list is:  are there any side effects
at all of adding a CNAME record to localhost?  I have tested
this using my personal domain, and things work as I expected.
However, there are folks in the IT department that are leery of
adding such a record.  If someone could help me address the
pros/cons, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

=====
Luke Hassell                                Public Key available at:
http://www.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8C85ABD7