How MX records works

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jul 31 17:01:03 UTC 2001

In article <9jr6k4$398 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
WCTee <wctee at i-goldhatch.com.sg> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>   I have place 2 MX records into my dns server
>
>domain.com    IN    MX      10      server1.domain.com
>domain.com    IN    MX      20     server2.domain.com
>

>and, I have user1 at domain.com in server server1.domain.com and
>user2 at domain.com in server server2.domain.com.
>

>Is there any special setting I needs so that both my user received the
>respective email without problem.  They call this as load balance but, it
>does not seems to works.

This isn't load balancing.  server2 is a backup server, which will only be
used when connections to server1 fail.  As long as server1 is up and the
SMTP server is accepting connections, server2 will never be used.

You need to put an alias on server1 that says that mail for
user2 at domain.com should be forwarded to user2 at server2.domain.com, and
server2 should be configured to forward mail for user1 at domain.com should be
forwarded to user1 at server1.domain.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net