PROBLEM with MX extern

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jul 31 16:24:26 UTC 2001

In article <9jbqp8$apu at pub3.rc.vix.com>, vid  <vid at goliathet.net> wrote:

>Hi, Thanks to help me,
>
>my problem yesterday was solvented,
>the error was that i put a  bad comment , i put "#" in spite of ";"
>

>Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> In article <9j7em9$94t at pub3.rc.vix.com>, vid  <vid at goliathet.net> wrote:
>> >Now i must change the domain in this machine to another, and i've
>> >changed i've
>> >put in RR this :
>> >
>> >IN      SOA     a.domain.es.  sist.a.domain.es. (
>> >                          2001031333      ; serial
>> >                          8640            ; refresh (1 day)
>> >                          720             ; retry (2 hours)
>> >                          259200          ; expire (30 days)
>> >                          17280    )      ; minimum (2 days)
>>
>> All the times in those comments are wrong.  It looks like you've removed
>> the last 0 in each of the times.  1 day is 86400, not 8640; 2 hours is
>> 7200, not 720; and so on.
>>

>This i do to make changes faster , and sends me a warnig but was ok

But why did you reduce the Expire time?  It has nothing to do with making
changes faster.  Setting it to 3 days means that if you mess up your master
server on Friday and don't notice it until you come into work on Monday,
your slave servers will already have expired the zones and your DNS will be
failing.  We recommend to our customers that Expire be at least 7 days, to
allow plenty of time to detect and fix problems with the master.

But the point of my message was that your settings don't match the
comments, which is likely to confuse someone reading your files.  If you're
going to reduce the SOA values, you should update the comments accordingly:

  8640   ; refresh (2 hours 24 minutes)
  720    ; retry (12 minutes)
  259200 ; expire (3 days)
  17280  ; minimum (4 hours 48 minutes)