local dns and internet dns

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Jul 31 01:39:44 UTC 2001

	Please don't "nospam" your email address.  The newsgroup is
	gatewayed to a mailing list and adding "nospam" doesn't work.

> Newbie here, as you will soon see by my question.  I have Tru64 UNIX
> running named 8.2.2-P5.

	You need to upgrade.
	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html

> It's name is robertj.  I went through the
> bind_manual_setup steps and now I am using robertj as the nameserver
> for my lan.  It resolves internet names without a problem.  However, I
> also want to use it as the nameserver for the computers on my lan.
> Right now I have static ip's and eventually want to use DHCP, but for
> now I want to be able to use robertj to resolve all lookups.  I set up
> the hosts.db, hosts.rev, named.ca, named.conf and named.local files as
> suggested.  It is master for my local domain hammerdog.org and slave
> for 255.255.255.255.  I thought that I did all that I was supposed,
> but it will not resolve names for my lan.  I am sure this will be an
> easy one for you guys.  Here are a couple of my config files:
>
> /etc/namedb> cat named.conf
> //snipped out comments here
> options {
>         directory  "/etc/namedb/";
> };
>
> zone  "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type  master;
>         file  "named.local";
> };
>
> zone  "hammerdog.org" {
>         type  master;
>         file  "hosts.db";
>         allow-update { any; };
> };
>
> zone  "255.255.255.255" {
>         type  slave;
>         file  "named.local";
>         masters  {
>         };

	Well you need to specify some masters here.  An empty masters clause
	is illegal.

> };
>
> zone  "." {
>         type  hint;
>         file  "named.ca";
> };
>

> /etc/namedb> cat named.local
> ; BIND data file for local loopback interface.
> ;

	While not strictly required for BIND 8.2.x I would have been specifing
	a default TTL.
	e.g.
	$TTL 3600
	@ 	IN SOA ...

> @       IN      SOA     robertj.hammerdog.org.
> postmaster.robertj.hammerdog.org. (
>                         1       ; Serial
>                         3600    ; Refresh
>                         300     ; Retry
>                         3600000 ; Expire
>                         3600 )  ; Minimum
> IN      NS      robertj.hammerdog.org.

	You need white space before the IN or else it will be interperted
	as a name not a class.

> 1       IN      PTR     localhost.
> localhost.      IN      A       127.0.0.1

	You havn't shown "hosts.db".

> This is the /etc/hosts file as well as the /etc/named/src/hosts file:

	/etc/hosts and /etc/named/src/hosts are irrelevant to the DNS
	unless you are using some program to generate the zone files from
	them.

	Note: the errors mentioned here will be showing in your log files.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com