Repost (with files this time!): Auto-Update problem

Wayne Thompson deathship_newsletters at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 30 21:46:49 UTC 2001

Hi,

(bind v 8)

I am trying to configure my local zone (dark) so I can auto-update db
entries via a tool called dhcp-dns (which is a collection of perl scripts
that use nsupdate to add entries from the dhcp lease table to the bind db).

I have configured things in a way that I think is right, but I am new to
bind so it's all a bit confusing!

The dhcp-dns tool seems to run fine. It creates a list of commands to pass
to 'nsupdate' to add hosts from the lease table. But when it runs, nothing
changes in bind.

I have manually added dns entries to the db file and the lookups work fine,
but when I run nslookup and enter the following command..

> update add doofus.dark 3600 IN A 192.168.0.113

i get no error message, but the IP address hasnt been added.

I have upped the logging level (which I may have done wrong!) and nothing
seems to get logged!

Could someone out there suggest what I am doing wrong?

I attatch the relevant files...

/etc/bind/named.conf
options {directory "/var/cache/bind"; };

logging {
	channel file_level
		{ file "/var/log/dns.temp.log" versions 3 size 20m;
		print-time yes;
		print-category yes;
		};
	category config { file_level; };
	category parser { file_level; };
	category update { file_level; };
	category lame-servers { null; };
	category cname { null; };
	};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};

zone "localhost" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.local";
};

zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.127";
};

zone "0.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.0";
};

zone "255.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.255";
};

zone "dark"
	{
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.dark";
	allow-update
		{
		192.168.0.5;
		localhost;
		};
	};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa"
	{
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.192.168.0";
        allow-update
	{
		192.168.0.5;
		localhost;
		};
	};

/etc/bind/db.dark
$ORIGIN .
dark   		604800  IN      A       192.168.0.0
        	604800  IN      NS     	firewall.dark.
        	604800  IN      SOA   	firewall.dark. root.firewall.dark. (
                                        8759 604800 86400 2419200 604800
					)
$ORIGIN dark.

Hope someone can help?