Auto-Update problem

Wayne Thompson deathship_newsletters at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 30 18:05:46 UTC 2001

Hi,

(bind v 8)

I am trying to configure my local zone (dark) so I can auto-update db
entries via a tool called dhcp-dns (which is a collection of perl scripts
that use nsupdate to add entries from the dhcp lease table to the bind db).

I have configured things in a way that I think is right, but I am new to
bind so it's all a bit confusing!

The dhcp-dns tool seems to run fine. It creates a list of commands to pass
to 'nsupdate' to add hosts from the lease table. But when it runs, nothing
changes in bind.

I have manually added dns entries to the db file and the lookups work fine,
but when I run nslookup and enter the following command..

> update add doofus.dark 3600 IN A 192.168.0.113

i get no error message, but the IP address hasnt been added.

I have upped the logging level (which I may have done wrong!) and nothing
seems to get logged!

Could someone out there suggest what I am doing wrong?

I attatch the relevant files...

/etc/bind/named.conf
/etc/bind/db.dark

Hope someone can help?