load balance with multiple A record

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Mon Jul 30 15:04:18 UTC 2001

>if i have 2 A record for a single host,
>
>server.foo.com        IN    A        10.1.1.1        (from ISP A)
>server.foo.com        IN    A        20.1.1.1        (from ISP B)
>
>when isp B goes down, does the DNS continue to resolve the server
>address to 20.1.1.1

DNS doesn´t know anything is down, so it continues to answer with the
entire RRset.

It´s the querying machines that will detect no response.  Whether they will
try the other A record depends on the application.

>,hence half of my connection request is actually droped.

50% of queriers will go to the dead ip.

>will i be able to do someting like the exchange priority on an A
>record, where the second entry via
>ISP B have a lower priority than A?

no, with with DNS and A records.

MX and SRV records provide params to do that, but the queriers need to know
how to play along.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K