HELP!!

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Sun Jul 29 20:51:49 UTC 2001

>I can get named running as a "caching name server" but that isn't much
>good to me.  I configured a zone in named.conf to a zone file  and glue
>record to eg) "ns.myserver.com"

delegation and thier glue records are in the .com parent, not in the
myserver.com zone records. The NS records in your zone file are for
documentation, not for delegation.

>. When I use nslookup to query my static
>IP address or "ns.myserver.com", I only get the message to say that
>there is "no host/domain" or server failed and default server not
>available.

use dig

>  It would appear that although named is running, it doesn't
>have a name associated with it eg) "ns.myserver.com".

>I have registered my domain through "www.inexpensivedomains.com". When I
>try to delegate my domain "mydomain.com" to use the name server
>"ns.myserver.com"

the .com parent server delegates to your ns, you can´t do it yourself.

>How do I get a name such as ns.mydomain.com associated with the named
>daemon?

your not speaking BIND language yet  :)))

You have to register your NS´s (delegation data) as HOST´s and their ip´s
(glue records) with your registar.  Your registrar will put your NS´s into
the .com parent servers.

Then modify your mydomain.com´s delegation data at you registrar from
whatever´s NS´s they are now to your own NS's.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways