Question on listen-on & listen-on-v6 option

Dhanasekaran dhana at india.hp.com
Sat Jul 28 04:56:39 UTC 2001

Hello All,

    I need some clarrification on using listen-on & listen-on-v6 option.

    In BIND9, I understand that by specifying listen-on-ipv6 { any; };
     named will  listen on all IPv6 and IPv4  interfaces  in IPv6
machine.

   Then under this scenario what is the use of specifying the listen-on
option??

    Suppose I have system with four interface two IPv4 (A,B) & 2 IPv6
     (C,D).

    By specifying listen-on option by following

    options {
                listen-on { A ; };
                listen-on-v6 { any ; };
        };

    Will named listen only to the A,C,D interfaces and not B??

    Can I ask only interface A to listen on particular port??

    To put it short, what is  the use of specifying  the listen-on
option
    when the  listen-on-ipv6 any  option is specified in the named.conf
file ??

    Thanks,

With Regards,
D.Dhana.