Users Want *Seamless* Solutions, Not Patchwork (was Re: Users want solutions, not buzzwords)

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Jul 26 00:01:23 UTC 2001

At 7:34 PM -0400 7/25/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>>  bind-users
>>  Discussions among users of BIND. It is also available as the newsgroup
>>  comp.protocols.dns.bind. This is a good place to discuss problems that
>>  you are having setting up BIND, or getting it to do what you want.
>
>  I've never taken the "This is a good place ..." language to mean that the
>  list was *limited* to those topics.

	Not entirely limited to these topics, but certainly advocacy of
another program is wholly and totally inappropriate.

>                                       Anything which is reasonably
>likely to be
>  of interest to users (or potential users, I would say) of BIND, would appear
>  to be fair game here.

	If you want to talk about specific features or mis-features, ways
of using or mis-using BIND, etc... then I would have no problem with
that.  However, getting into advocacy of another program is not
appropriate -- regardless of what His Almighty Omniscient Omnipresent
Omnipotent Dan-ness may seem to think.

	Personally, I've enjoyed reading your counterpoint and dissection
of his continuous blathering, but I have also found it inappropriate
for discussion on this list.

	"We call it the 'one bite at the apple' rule," she says.
	"Give me one chance to show you what I have to offer
	you, and if you don't like it, then I won't contact you
	again."

		-- Patricia Faley, DMA Spokesperson

	"Hmm.  I know of another species that does pretty much the
	same thing.  They're called Piranha, and a school of a few
	thousand can strip the carcass of an Elephant in just a
	few hours.  We should not agree to be their prey."

		-- Me