Don't provide promiscuous proxy DNS service

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 25 22:28:11 UTC 2001

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

> FA> Upon further investigation, we discovered that other people (even
> FA> competitors) were utilizing our DNS servers to perform regular
> FA> queries.
>
> http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-server-roles.html#ProxyIP

  Why do you insist on muddying standard terminology? There are authoritative
nameservers, and resolvers (a term which encompasses recursive nameserver
programs/processes, as well as "stub" resolvers), yet you insist on calling these
"content DNS servers", and "proxy servers", respectively. This not consistent with
the RFCs which define DNS, nor does it conform to common established usage.
Moreover, it's very confusing since "content server" and "proxy" have meanings
outside of DNS.

- Kevin