Relay error message

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 16:27:32 UTC 2001

Eric Ward wrote:

> I get the below error message when send email.  Is this a DNS configuration
> issue?

> This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>
> Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
> The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
> each recipient was rejected.
>
>     Recipient: <info at ddcscuba.com>
>     Reason:    5.7.1 Unable to relay for info at ddcscuba.com
>
> Please reply to Postmaster at home.com
> if you feel this message to be in error.

Actually we can't say without more information, but penny to
a pound says it is an e-mail server configuration error, or
a user attempting to send e-mail to a domain that doesn't
take e-mail.

ddcscuba.com doesn't have an MX record which is a bad sign.
But almost everything will attempt to deliver mail to the A
record if the MX is missing - clearly the machine pointed to
by the A record is not relaying mail for the domain.

I'm of the opinion that every domain (well most domains)
should accept e-mail for info, and every domain of that type
should have one (and preferably) more than one MX record.

But at the end of the day if the e-mail server is not
configured to accept e-mail for the domain, the mail
bounces, no matter what the DNS configuration*.

	Simon

*(Except for those who live dangerously and relay mail for
any domain that an MX record exists for pointing at
themselves, but thats an open invitation to the
sophisticated spammer).