root server

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 16:06:45 UTC 2001

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 11:26 AM +0000 7/24/01, Marc^ Uebel wrote:
>
> >  i dont' want that the my nameserver asks the root server.
>
>         Why not?
>
> >                                                             will it cause any
> >  problems to delete all entrys from root.hint?
>
>         Yup.  The entire rest of the Internet will disappear, at least as
> far as your server is concerned.  Do you really want to cut yourself
> off from the entire Internet?

Come on Brad - give the guy a clue *8-)

Two main situations where you don't ask the root name
servers questions....

1) You forward requests to your ISP's DNS servers.

Brad has argued elegantly why you don't want to do this -
that is why the list is archived, so you can go see if he is
right.

You need forwarder directives to do this.

2) Your network is deliberately disconnected from the
Internet (at least logically).

root.hints (or whatever it is called) is modified to point
to your own root name servers.

Modern versions of BIND have the Internet root nameservers
hardcoded, so if you delete the contents of root.hints,
you'll still talk to the root nameservers, you'll just use
more stale data to do it.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
www.eighth-layer.com