webmin & bind 9

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 07:02:58 UTC 2001

Maruko wrote:

> Would like to know if anyone of you tried using bind 9
> with webmin software?

I have. It requires a quick edit to the PERL to tell it to
ignore version in 0.84. And as long as you stick with
functionality in both BIND 8 and BIND 9 it seems to work.

> I always see this
> /var/named//"/var/named when i click the edit records
> file in webmin for a newly created master zone.
> There was no SOA records and i am unable to create any
> type of records either.

You may need to sort out the config file for the BIND8
module, which specifies file locations.

/etc/webmin/bind8/config or does 0.87 have a Bind9 module?

> I tried changing the file path for that particular
> zone in /etc/named.conf and goin back in to the
> webmin, everything works. I guess this is not really
> the correct way to do it?

Webmin has a convention on how to name zones, and
configurable directories on where to store them. Whilst it
will read your existing zone files okay, new ones will
follow it's convention.

My problem with Webmin was that it isn't terribly reliable
(Sometimes it doesn't let you navigate around the BIND
module), and the templating facilities are restrictive (I
vaguely recall you could edit the config files and improve
the templating beyond what the GUI can do).

Also it doesn't bring much ease of use, as you need to know
the proper layout of the zone files, the right order to do
things, although it is suppose to insert PTR records for A
records.

Perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way, a tool that can be
made to do what you need, rather than one that does. I was
once tempted to volunteer to document the BIND stuff as it
is really needs an overview document.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
www.eighth-layer.com