(SOLVED) delegating NS control of subdomain to another BIND

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 23 23:55:40 UTC 2001

If you *must* use forwarding, then you can cancel it selectively using
"forwarders { }" in the zone definition at the apex of whatever part of the
namespace you don't want to be forwarded, e.g. "forwarders { }" in the
madduck.net zone definition cancels forwarding for madduck.net and
everything beneath it (unless explicitly re-instated via the use of another
"forwarders { x.x.x.x; };" clause in a descendant zone).

But, unless your Internet connectivity is limited or you can derive a
consistent, reliable performance benefit from it, I wouldn't use forwarding
at all. Given your statements about how overloaded the DTAG servers are, I
doubt you're getting any performance benefit and forwarding is probably a
waste.

Note that if you're using forwarding purely for performance reasons, then
use "forward first" instead of "forward only". This will allow your
nameserver to fall back to iterative resolution if the forwarders are
unavailable (obviously this isn't a viable option if you're using forwarding
to get around some sort of connectivity issue).

- Kevin