Name server to IP address

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 23 22:02:19 UTC 2001

In order to create a "ns1.mydomain.com" name which is visible to the world
in general, you need to (not necessarily in chronological order):

1) Register the mydomain.com domain through a commercial registry

2) Define mydomain.com as a "type master" zone on your nameserver (i.e. in
named.conf)

3) Set up the mydomain.com zone file, containing the ns1.mydomain.com entry

4) Arrange for at least one other server to be a slave for your domain, for
redundancy. The "com" domain requires that you have at least 2 nameservers.

If you're just setting this up internally, then omit step #1.

There are various online resources describing how to do all of this. See,
for example, http://www.dns.net/dnsrd. For a more comprehensive guide to
DNS and BIND, get a copy of the _DNS_and_BIND_ O'Reilly book, currently in
Fourth Edition.

- Kevin