remote lookup problem

Joel Uckelman uckelman at ameritech.net
Mon Jul 23 18:34:59 UTC 2001

Quoth Brad Knowles:
[snip]

> 	Let's look at your domain with automated DNS debugging tools.

I didn't know about any of these except dig. These should be very helpful
for fixing problems in the future.

[snip]

> 	This is totally hosed.  You do not have proper delegation
> information being handed out by the .cx ccTLD nameservers.  Moreover,
> the granitecanyon nameservers (the only ones being delegated to by
> the .cx ccTLD nameservers) are not handing out correct glue
> information for the zone and are answering non-authoritatively
> (presumably because your machine is hosed).  Your own machine is not
> even handing out glue for charybids.ellipsis.cx, even though this is
> supposed to be one of your three authoritative nameservers.

I believe fixing a typo in my ellipsis.cx zone fixed all of the above
problems except those with granitecanyon.

>  And then
> there's the whole bizarre reverse DNS issue for 64.109.29.57.

This is a whole different problem, one which I think I know the solution
to, but can't implement on my own. My ISP used CNAMEs to "delegate" my IP
block to me RFC 2317-style. They have charybdis.nomic.net as one of the
authoritative nameservers for the 56.29.109.64.in-addr.arpa zone. I also
host nomic.net, and charybdis.nomic.net = charybdis.ellipsis.cx. Until this
morning, the registrar for nomic.net had a bad glue record for
charybdis--which means the *.gtld-servers.net had incorrect A records for
charybdis. Right now, however, the *.gtld-servers.net have *no* A record
for charybdis, and there seems to be no way to set one through
register.com's web forms---which means that I'm stuck waiting for them to
do something about it. Since reverse lookups work if you query charybdis
for them, I believe they will work globally after register.com fixes and
uploads their zone to the gtld-servers.

--
J.