remote lookup problem

Joel Uckelman uckelman at ameritech.net
Mon Jul 23 18:20:10 UTC 2001

Quoth Mark Andrews:
[snip]

> 	charybids.ellipsis.cx should also be here which means that it
> 	is missing from the zone data.

Wow, do I feel dumb. I never would have spotted that typo, I've been
looking at my zone files way to long. Thanks!

[snip]

> > This looks correct to me. charybdis is listed as an NS, and the A glue
> > record has the correct IP. So why do queries to other nameservers fail?
> > What is preventing them from getting the requested records from mine? If
> > anyone can spot what the problem is, that would be a big help. I thought I
> > understood how this stuff works, but I"m out of ideas at this point.
>
> 	It also helps if NS1.GRANITECANYON.COM was configured as a
> 	secondary.  I can't get a answer out of NS2.GRANITECANYON.COM
> 	at the moment but I suspect that it also needs to be configure.
>
> 	So of the three server, one is tell the world that it doesn't
> 	exist which will stop nameserver trying it and the other two
> 	are not configured.
>
> 	Mark

Now that I changed "charybids" to "charybdis", lookups for the ellipsis.cx
zone work on every nameserver I've tried, EXCEPT ns{1,2}.granitecanyon.com.
So the problem is partly solved. Since I filled out the web forms at
granitecanyon.com to set them up as my secondary (a long time ago), I would
expect that to do it, but apparently not.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

--
J.