Bad NS records??

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Fri Jul 20 12:02:36 UTC 2001

At 13:40 2001-07-20 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi!
>
>For a few days, our local (caching) nameserver is having
>trouble accessing one domain: balius.com (which causes mail
>from east.balius.com, where the Linux ipchains mailing list
>is hosted, to bounce on our mail server :-().
>
>I don't *quite* understand what's going on, but here's what
>I have found out so far:

                               DNS Expert
                     Detailed Report for balius.com

2001-07-20, 13:58, using the analysis setting "Thorough"

Information
Serial number:           2001070607
Primary name server:     ns1.balius.com.
Primary mail server:     mail.balius.com.
Number of records:       N/A

Errors
o The server "ns2.amotken.com." did not reply
     The server "ns2.amotken.com." did not reply when it was queried
     for the name "balius.com.".  This indicates that the server is not
     running, or it is currently unreachable.

o The name server "ns1.amotken.com." is only listed in delegation data
     The server "ns1.amotken.com." is listed as being authoritative
     for the zone according to the delegation data, but there is no NS
     record for that server in the zone data.  Delegation data and zone
     data should always match.

o Only one of your name servers has autoritative data for the zone.
     The server "ns1.amotken.com." is the only server that has
     authoritaive data for the zone.  If this server becomes
     unavailable, your domain will become inacessible.

Warnings
o The zone contains more than one authoritative name server with the
   same IP address
     The name servers "ns1.balius.com." and "ns1.amotken.com.", which
     are authoritative for "balius.com.", have the same IP address
     (24.24.63.86).

o The zone contains more than one authoritative name server with the
   same IP address
     The name servers "ns2.balius.com." and "ns2.amotken.com.", which
     are authoritative for "balius.com.", have the same IP address
     (24.24.63.87).

They have some work to do.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training