Up-stream information

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Jul 19 23:45:44 UTC 2001

	Recursive servers follow the delegation information to find
	answers.  Delegation information is added to the parent
	zone using out of band methods.

	When you register "example.com" you are actually passing
	the delgation information for "example.com" to the parent
	zone "com".  You are also in this case paying to have that
	information served.

	A different out of bad method was used between "com" and ".".

	Say you want to know the address of "foo.example.com".  You
	ask the root servers for the address of "foo.example.com"
	they don't have it but return a answer that says wha  the
	servers for "com" are.   You then ask the servers for "com"
	who intern refer you to the "example.com" server.  You then
	ask these servers who give you the answer you are seeking.

	This process is often short circuited as you will know
	the "com" or "example.com" servers due to previous queries.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com