"number of zones allocated: 64"

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jul 18 23:11:34 UTC 2001

    >> In article <9j4v54$g32 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jeff Neuffer <jneuffer at nscom.com> wrote:
    >> I was wondering what the statement, "number of zones allocated:
    >> 64" means.  Does this mean that the server will only support

It just means the server has allocated memory for 64 zoneinfo
structures: essentially the internal representation of a zone{}
statement. It has no bearing on the number of zones a server can
load. That limit is around 16 million in BIND8, assuming the computer
has enough RAM and VM for so much data.

    Barry> It's the number of zones that the server has actually
    Barry> loaded; i.e. there should be 64 "zone" statements in your
    Barry> named.conf file.

Not really. A BIND8 server allocates memory for zone{} statements --
zoneinfo structs actually -- 64 at a time.

    Barry> There's no hard-coded limit to the number
    Barry> of zones that BIND can load.

There is in BIND8, but it's not likely to be reached. From the BIND8
CHANGELOG:

 412.   [bug]           we now support 2**24-1 (16M) zones. (need namespaces!)