One Domain; Multiple IPs.

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Jul 18 22:59:16 UTC 2001

> Mark:
> > Try asking about things other than A records.  Some of the
> > load balancers fail to do the rest of the protocol.
> >
> > Given that you usually delegate a single node to these boxes
> > they should be able to answer NS and SOA queries for the name,
> > return NODATA responses to queries for types that don't exist.
> > If a subdomain does not exist it should return NXDOMAIN.
> >
> > I'm not sure if DD has these problems, but some of these boxes
> > definitely do.
>
> DD will return SOA and I think it does NS (I'll check tomorrow), I can't
> say whether it returns NODATA for other types (I'll check that too).  Being
> pragmatic, is this important?  DD is used for a very specific purpose, that
> is to allow the operator of the DD to advertise A records to redirect
> traffic to his/her published (named) servers appropriately.  For his/her
> published and advertised purposes other record types should not be
> requested.

	Client will requests lots of things AAAA records and A6
	are starting to be as common a A requests.  Also questions
	with EDNS should be answered even if it is just FORMERR,
	some of these boxes don't do that.  MX queries will also
	be common and hopefully SRV queries soon.

	Saying that other record types should not be requested is
	just plain wrong.  It is thinking like this that causes
	some of the abominations that are out there pretending to
	be nameservers.

> Therefore no normal user will care, only those who dig and doc
> at any available opportunity :-)
> It is certainly true that DD should be delegated individual hosts as zones,
> and as far as I have read the doco, Cisco do not adequately make this
> point.  It as also true that DD does not accept TCP requests

	For which there is no good reason and causes operational
	problems from time to time.  When will nameserver vendors
	learn that DNS/TCP really is not optional.  That people
	will configure servers such that fallback to TCP will be
	required.

>, and I worry
> about whether the technique could be used in a future updated form to
> provide DNSSEC signed answers (even given the CPU power to compute the
> signatures on-the-fly, I would be unhappy to have the private key of the
> zone stored on a device which could be reached on the Internet).

	DNSSEC signatures can be pre-computed for each address.
	It's just a matter of matching them.

> Rgds
> Marc TXK

	I repeat these comments are directed against no one particular
	vendor and may not apply to DD.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.