"Sysquery:" Errors

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 18 20:54:28 UTC 2001

This is quite confusing. You are citing the same filename
(/var/named/barnswell.net) with different contents -- one you call a "zone
file", the other a "root file". The "root file" is in "hints" file format,
but it points only to yourself. If you're master for an internal root zone,
you should be defining it as "master", not "hints". Your root master
zonefile should have an SOA record in it, in addition to the NS record(s),
and either it should include *all* of your data (including all of the
barnswell.net data, and any reverse data you have), or there should be
delegations from it, like a miniature Internet. Note that you don't have to
delegate every domain level -- you could delegate directly from the root
zone to barnswell.net and 168.192.in-addr.arpa, for instance.

- Kevin