.Com domain listing non-gtld name servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 18 20:24:54 UTC 2001

lrodriguez21 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Our public/private dns servers our caching other records than the
> normal gtld name servers under the COM domain. It listed many MX and A
> records from previous cached queries under the COM domain. Is this
> normal? We've had problems with outbound mail and everything we clear
> the MX records under the COM domain, the queued mail is sent. Has
> anyone had this problem?

It's perfectly normal for there to be MX and A records for names under
the COM domain. chrysler.com has A and MX records, for instance.

If you're having a mail delivery problem that is solved by
reloading/restarting your nameserver, then it's probably a delegation
problem of some sort. These are becoming quite common these days. If you
give specifics about the domains you're having problems with, then maybe
it might be possible to give a specific answer as to why it is happening.
Unfortunately, the fix usually requires the owners of the other domains
to fix them, and unless you have a lot of leverage with them, it may not
be easy to get them to do that (especially if they are clueless and don't
even understand what the problem is).

- Kevin