One Domain; Multiple IPs.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jul 18 15:00:18 UTC 2001

In article <9j2b49$on3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jim Reid  <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:
>If/when rsync gets blessed by the IETF and IAB as a mechanism for zone
>replication, you can be sure it will be in the reference DNS
>implementation.

Is there a law, or even a concensus, that says that vendors should not
implement things other than IETF standards?

On the other hand, I think Dan is wrong to criticize Nominum for not
offering these things.  Just because you *can* use things like rsync
doesn't mean that they have to write the code.  If someone calls Nominum
and asks "Do you offer a way to replicate named.conf files?", they're just
be truthful when they say that they don't; if someone wants to replicate
them using rsync, they need to roll their own scripts.  Any decent sysadmin
should be able to do this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA