Migrating from M$ DNS to BIND

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 00:26:19 UTC 2001

mike chastant wrote:

> many thanks in advance and i promise not to use M$ products in the future
> =)

Okay - in that case we will let you know about the secret
registry key that lets you decide whether DNS data is held
on disk in BIND compatible(?!) files, or buried in that easy
to use Microsoft tool the registry, with NT DNS manager.
Check the Micrsoft Knowledgebase now you know it exists, and
do read the M$ knowledge base article before switching this
setting as it has the usual proviso's like backing up the
registry first.

If you allow zone transfers then you can just do a "dig zone
axfr" with appropriate settings and trimmings. See
www.deja.com for details.

So two methods - but I always save zone data in files,
rather than the registry - but then I got burnt by the
registry early on and have never really trusted it since so
maybe I'm a Luddite. Thus I could always use FTP to move the
files without any weird fiddling.