A, CNAME record???

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 17 23:24:52 UTC 2001

Kevyn Nguyen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have my static IP with my DSL and a domain (Xdomain.com) registered with
> Network Solutions.  I want to host my domain zone on my DSL (be the SOA for
> my "Xdomain.com" domain).  What type of record, if any, should I ask my ISP
> to create?
>
> When I went to modify the DNS server settings with Network Solutions, it
> wants me to type in the name of my Primary and Secondary DNS server.   I
> want to be able to type  "ns1.Xdomain.com" as my Primary DNS server.  The
> ns1.Xdomain.com points to my STATIC IP.  What type of record should my ISP
> create for "ns1.Xdomain.com"?

If you want to host your domain yourself, then your ISP doesn't necessarily
need to get involved at all. Assuming you're using BIND, add a "zone"
definition to named.conf of type "master", and populate the relevant zone
file.

Your ISP would only need to get involved if you wanted them to become a slave
for your domain (one way or another, you need at least 2 nameservers for your
domain, but if your ISP wants to charge for this service, there are free
"secondary" services available), or if you wanted them to do some delegation
for your reverse DNS. But in the former case (slaving), they wouldn't create
any DNS records (slaving is just a matter of named.conf configuration), and in
the latter case (reverse-DNS delegation), this probably has nothing to do with
Network Solutions.

You might find it worthwhile to procure a book like O'Reilly's _DNS_and_BIND_,
Fourth Edition, to help you navigate all of this DNS/BIND stuff. Or check out
the online materials at http://www.dns.net/dnsrd. The initial learning curve
can be quite steep.

- Kevin