ls option with nslookup and dig

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jul 17 19:13:35 UTC 2001

In article <9j20nc$mnb at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Christopher L. Barnard <cbar44 at tsg.cbot.com> wrote:

>Cool.  It works.
>
>198.6.1.65 is the nameserver that uunet runs.  When someone in the real world
>does a DNS lookup of cbot.com, the uunet dns server will respond with the
>table below.  It is the internal server(s) that I control -- those are the
>ones I would like to get the map from.  So
>
>dig cbot.com axfr @198.6.1.65
>
>does exactly what it should and returns the "outside" DNS.  But
>
>dig cbot.com axfr @164.74.35.202
>
>which is the internal master of the cbot.com zone, returns
>; Transfer failed.

Do you have a firewall blocking connections to this server?  I tried to
query it and got a timeout.

The problem could be that your server is not authoritative for the domain.
This will happen if it detects a syntax error in the zone file.  Restart
named and check your log file for error messages regarding the cbot.com
zone file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA