Denied Update Messages On Secondary Servers

Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Tue Jul 17 15:54:03 UTC 2001

I have logging configured on my secondaries such that any unapproved
updates, etc are written to a log file.  I've noticed that a lot of denied
from IP for zone type messages on each of my secondaries.  What I don't
understand is why I'm seeing them on my secondaries since the clients should
be going to the primary to try and update.  When I look on my primary I
don't see most of the offending IP's being logged there which I would expect
since I have ACL's setup for W2K boxes, etc to allow them to update specific
zones.  If someone can shed some light as to why I'm seeing these messages
on my secondary I would appreciate it.  Probably something relatively
obvious but escaping me at the moment.

Thanks,

Bill Smith
<mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu>
The Johns Hopkins University                    Washington DC: 240-228-5523
Applied Physics Laboratory                      MD: 443-778-5523
11100 Johns Hopkins Road                        Fax: 443-778-5727
Laurel, MD 20723-6099                           Web:
<http://www.jhuapl.edu/>