Am I wrong?

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Tue Jul 17 15:19:35 UTC 2001

It appears that your ISP's support group is correct.  If you run "dig
@ns1.granitecanyon.com cobranetworks.net ns", you receive the following:

	; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @ns1.granitecanyon.com cobranetworks.net ns
	; (1 server found)
	;; got answer:
	;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
	;; QUERY SECTION:
	;;      cobranetworks.net, type = NS, class = IN

	;; ANSWER SECTION:
	cobranetworks.net.      1D IN NS        ns1.granitecanyon.com.
	cobranetworks.net.      1D IN NS        ns1.cobranetworks.net.

	;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
	ns1.granitecanyon.com.  1D IN A         205.166.226.38

	;; Total query time: 119 msec
	;; FROM: firewall to SERVER: ns1.granitecanyon.com  205.166.226.38
	;; WHEN: Tue Jul 17 08:03:39 2001
	;; MSG SIZE  sent: 35  rcvd: 104

Notice that in the "ANSWER SECTION" you have both ns1.granitecanyon.com
and ns1.cobranetworks.net identified as name servers for your domain,
but in the "ADDITIONAL SECTION" only the A record for
ns1.granitecanyon.com is identified.  You need to add an A record for
ns1.cobranetworks.net to your zone.

Since you must have registered your domain identifying both
ns1.granitecanyon.com and ns1.cobranetworks.net as name servers for your
domain, it is easy to track down the IP address of
ns1.cobranetworks.net, and the "A" record for this should look something
similar to:

	ns1		IN	A	195.82.104.220

Now, when you add this record, make sure that you increment the serial
number in your SOA record to insure that this new information gets
propagated.  Your current serial number is "1997022804", which appears
to be a date oriented serial number - which would be very out of date
now.  The actual value of the serial number doesn't matter, as long as
it is increased each time the zone data is modified.

Bill Larson