One Domain; Multiple IPs.

D. J. Bernstein 75628121832146-bind at sublist.cr.yp.to
Tue Jul 17 08:40:39 UTC 2001

Brad Knowles writes:
> Dependance on mechanisms outside of AXFR/IXFR to synchronize masters
> and slaves is just about the worst possible idea I have ever heard of.
> IMO, this is certainly one of the worst mis-features of djbdns.

djbdns supports rsync+ssh. djbdns _also_ supports zone transfers. Brad
has repeatedly been informed that his claims to the contrary are false.

As for the relative merits of zone transfers and rsync+ssh, let's look
at what these protocols mean for the system administrator:

                                BIND zone transfers     rsync over ssh
                                -------------------     --------------
  Zones added automatically     No                      Yes
  Views handled automatically   No                      Yes
  Replication soon              Yes: NOTIFY             Yes
  ... which means now           No: BIND delays NOTIFY  Yes
  Success reported locally      No                      Yes
  Errors reported locally       No                      Yes
  Compressed transfers          No                      Yes
  Incremental transfers         Yes: IXFR*              Yes
  ... of data added by hand     No                      Yes
  ... or by common web tools    No                      Yes
  Encrypted transfers           No                      Yes
  Authenticated transfers       Yes: TSIG*              Yes
  Usable for other services     No                      Yes

* The latest IXFR and TSIG implementations are supposedly free of the
bugs that caused crashes, data corruption, and root exploits in previous
versions of BIND. Or maybe not; see Paul Vixie's quote predicting more
``security related or otherwise critical'' bugs in BIND.

---Dan