One Domain; Multiple IPs.

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Jul 17 00:27:34 UTC 2001

> In article <9ivqj6$959 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Brad Knowles  <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:
> >
> >At 6:00 PM -0400 7/16/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> >
> >>  I agree. The protocol purists appear to be out of touch with the way DNS
> is
> >>  evolving in the real world.
> >
> >	No, generally speaking, I believe that they've got the right
> >idea.  The things that they say are protocol violations do tend to
> >cause problems.  The issue is whether they cause worse problems than
> >the other problems that they're trying to solve, and in many cases I
> >would submit that this could well be true.
>
> What kinds of problems do devices like Distributed Director cause?

	Try asking about things other than A records.  Some of the
	load balancers fail to do the rest of the protocol.

	Given that you usually delegate a single node to these boxes
	they should be able to answer NS and SOA queries for the name,
	return NODATA responses to queries for types that don't exist.
	If a subdomain does not exist it should return NXDOMAIN.

	I'm not sure if DD has these problems, but some of these boxes
	definitely do.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.