One Domain; Multiple IPs.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jul 16 21:37:04 UTC 2001

In article <9ivl4j$89l at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>> You could have two name servers, giving out different IP addresses.
>> That way, if one side goes down, only HALF the accesses would be to the
>> dead IP address.
>
>According to some interpretations, this is a DNS protocol violation. One
>could rationalize it as a very volatile data, but even in that case the
>protocol purists would insist that the SOA serial number be incremented
>every time the zone "changed", i.e. every time a different response was
>given by either nameserver.

If it's a violation, it's one that's being violated constantly by most of
the biggest web site operators.  Software and devices like lbnamed and
Distributed Director return different answers depending on a variety of
conditions, such as the load on the server or the location of client.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA