Propogating IP changes in DNS records

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jul 16 14:53:13 UTC 2001

In article <9iss87$j87 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jeffrey J. Bacon <jeff.bacon at breakfast.ca> wrote:

>ok, my IP number changed and such I have updated my BIND DNS files to
>reflect this change.  Obviously caching nameservers on the internet have
>my DNS records in their cache and are not updating immediately.  Is
>there anything I can do do speed along the process of propagating my new

Nothing you can do now.  You could have reduced the TTL of the old record a
day before the change, so that it wouldn't hang around too long after the
change.

>DNS records though out the internet?  I have 4 secondary servers (2 with
>secondary.com and 2 elsewhere).  How do I force them to initiate a
>domain name transfer?

If the master and slaves are running BIND 8 or higher, the master will send
NOTIFY messages to the slaves, which tells them to initiate zone
transfers.  This happens automatically.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA