Bind config

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 13 21:28:18 UTC 2001

harison at 888.net wrote:

> I am setting up Bind on a RH7.1 box and I think I am missing
> something... I changed the resolv.conf so that it uses itself as a
> name server.  But when I use nslookup I get an error:
>
> *** Can't find server name for address 65.xxx.xxx.xxx: Non-existent
> host/domain
> *** Default servers are not available
>
> I can use host and dig and it works no problem... I lookup domains I
> created on this server and it resolves... but nslookup will not work.
> Also, When I try to use nslookup on another box (209.xxx.xxx.xxx) to
> search the NS on 65.xxx.xxx.xxx, (I typed: server ns1.[mydomain].net)
> it cannot find that server.
>
> So basically the NS only works within the server itself and nslookup
> does not work.

1. Stop using nslookup. It sucks.

2. If you can't stop using nslookup, at least set up your reverse DNS to
humor it.

3. It's not clear that you have any other problem besides nslookup
bogosity. If you provide real domain names, maybe someone could look at
the relevant domains to see if there is a problem or not.

- Kevin