pronunciation

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jul 13 20:23:22 UTC 2001

In article <9inf05$rrj at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>I've heard some people pronounce "named" like the past participle or adjective,
>i.e. as a single syllable.
>
><cringe>

I've heard this from many customers, too.  Typically, it's people who are
mainly Windows admins, but have inherited the job of supporting the legacy
Unix servers.  So they don't have the mind-set that a system contains a
whole bunch of XXXd's, which are all pronounced XXX-dee.  They see what
looks like an ordinary word, and pronounce it as such.

Luckily, I've never heard anyone pronounce it nam-ed (perhaps thinking it's
short for NAMe EDitor).  That would totally weird me out.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA