single reponse?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Jul 13 17:56:53 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 12:46:29AM -0700, Angela Chow wrote:
> anyway to have bind respond to 1 host for any dns requests?
>
> w.com -> 192.168.0.1
> x.com -> 192.168.0.1
> y.com -> 192.168.0.1
> ... and etc..
>
> TIA,
>
> -angie

First, I will answer your question.  Then I may try to guess what you
meant to ask.

By "respond to 1 host" [which would rudely ignore the actual querier],
I'm going to assume from your examples that you mean "respond with the
same IP address".

To respond with the same IP address for _ANY_ DNS request, have your
name server pretend to be the only root server.  For the "." domain,
have a zone file containing your SOA and NS records, and then:

*	A	192.168.0.1

Of course, you would then be unable to resolve any name to its real IP
address.

If you are asking for *.com, as in the example, make the above the
"com" zone file.  You now translate all *.com names into the one IP
address, and only lose the capability to resolve any *.com name into
its real IP address.

If you are asking for only your own domain [and now I am really going
out on a limb and guessing], make the above zone file the zone file for
your domain.  If it is the zone file for angie.krypt.com, then all
names *.angie.krypt.com will translate to the same IP address.

If you are asking about doing this for certain specific domains [and I
have no evidence at all that this is what you are asking], then you
could have a zone file for each, each having the same IP address; or
you could have the same zone file for each domain name:

$TTL	1d
@	SOA	...
	NS	...
	NS	...
	A	192.168.0.1

and just have the same file name in each zone declaration in your
named.conf file.

You can NOT include CNAMEs for domains outside of your domain, in your
domain's zone file.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B