Am getting errors with my zone files. Any pointers?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jul 13 14:47:22 UTC 2001

In article <9ilo9p$g2f at pub3.rc.vix.com>, sysop <sysop at quadtrax.com> wrote:
>I did put the changes into the files like you had mentioned.
>I post and ask questions and am doing this because I am learning how bind
>and dns works. By posting errologs and reading webpages and getting feedback
>from thoes who are in the know I learn. Like for instance your sugested zone

But this trial-and-error way of doing it doesn't seem like the best way to
learn.  Do you have the "DNS & BIND" book?  Have you looked at the
documentation or FAQ on the www.isc.org web site?

>file. I found out that you had place a TTL D1 command that bind 8.*.* does
>not except thats why it would not work at first.

That's because it should be "$TTL 1D".  All directives in zone files begin
with "$" -- anything else is a resource record.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA