Newbie... prior to setup of DNS?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jul 13 14:08:54 UTC 2001

In article <9illsp$fo9 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Kevyn Nguyen <kevyn_nguyen at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I sent an email to my ISP hostmaster and did not get a reply, so I thought I
>post the question here.  Hope you don't mind.  Please let me know if this
>question is inappropriate.
>
>I want to host my domain zone on my DSL static IP.  I was wondering if any
>can tell me what's going on in the background when I register with Network
>Solutions.  I registered a domain (example: mydomainXYZ.com).  Then, I am
>supposed to give a Primary and Secondary DNS of my ISP.  Now, it's unclear
>to me.
>
>1.  What do my ISP need to do?  Does the hostmaster of my ISP need to modify
>his (my ISP) DNS?

If you listed your ISP's nameservers in the registration, then your ISP
must add your domain to their servers' configurations.

If your ISP isn't going to be doing primary or secondary DNS for your
domain, then you shouldn't mention them in the registration, and they don't
need to do anything.  But you'll need to find someone to do secondary DNS
for you -- it's a bad idea to have only one nameserver for a domain, and
most registrars (including NSI) require at least two nameservers to be
listed.

>2.  When ask by Network Solutions, can I just use a server name (example:
>ns1.mydomainXYZ.com) as my Primary DNS?  If I do use ns1.mydomainXYZ.com,
>then how does it resolve to my static IP address.

First you have to register the host ns1.mydomainXYZ.com, and the host
registration form asks for the IP address.  Then when you register the
domain, you can include this host as one of the nameservers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA