dns that will return a single ip

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Thu Jul 12 21:00:46 UTC 2001

> Cynthia Raymond wrote:
>
> We want to setup a dns server that will direct users to a static web
> page regardless of what url they enter in their browser. The static web
> page will allow them to download a vpn client that they can use to
> access the network.
>
> We're trying to lockout anyone using a wireless NIC from surfing the web
> unless they're coming in through the vpn client.

You may be able to glean some useful information from some papers
that were presented at the 1999 LISA Conference:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa99/technical.html

The "NetReg" paper mentions an implementation of a universal webpage
that has some conceptual similarities to your idea.

You might also consult the papers "Managing Security in Dynamic Networks"
and "Dealing with Public Ethernet Jacks..." to see if there's anything
applicable to your particular environment.

Andris Kalnozols
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
andris at hpl.hp.com