Need to transfer a zone from BIND 4.x to Win2k standard primary DN

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Jul 12 15:02:08 UTC 2001

Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> replied:

>Anyway, I realized later that he is swapping his old AIX/BIND 4.x DNS
>master for a new MSW2K/MS DNS master, not adding a slave.  But he can
>transfer the zones over by making the new guy act like a slave at
>first, then telling it that it is now the master.  At least, using BIND
>he could; I don't know about MS DNS, perhaps there is another mailing
>list or newsgroup in support of that.  Also, the post-transfer format
>of a zone file is ugly[1] under BIND; I have no idea what the internal
>representation is for MS DNS.

I have used this technique to move a few zones from BIND to W2k:

     1) Define the zone on W2k as a standard slave zone.
     2) Tell the W2k DNS to load the zone from the master.
     3) Once the zone has been loaded on the W2k slave, change
        the zone properties from slave to master (either standard
        master or AD-integrated).  Be sure to update the SOA record
        to reflect the name of the new master.
     4) If the old master is not going to be a slave, remove the NS
        record from the zone on the W2k box.
     5) Inform all of the slaves of the new master.

Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov