Question About Hijacking

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Thu Jul 12 10:44:31 UTC 2001

You may find that he has already hijacked them.  I think this is a legal
question and an issue of business risk, it is certainly not merely a domain
question. What do your lawyers say about the contract under which the
addresses were "rented"?  I guess that the technical questions that they
may wish to ask you will be:
Where did you get the addresses from?
Do you "own" them or have you leased them from an Internet Registry?
Does he have them routed independently from you?
Does he want to be authoritative for the in-addr.arpa entries?
Marc TXK
The views expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of
the organisation providing the mail address from which this message was
sent

                    techlists at alber
                    ni.net (A.             To:     comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
                    Clausen)               cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Question About Hijacking
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    11/07/2001
                    23:09

We are domain hosting company, and we have rented a block of our IP
addresses to another hosting firm.  We are responsible for all DNS
entries, and for the last few years this has worked fine.  Now he
wants to set up his own primary DNS server.  Our concern is that he is
actually planning on hijacking our IP addresses.  Is this possible,
since we control the c class that this fellow's domains live on?