Slave server keeps transfering all zones...

Graeme graeme at officedevil.com
Wed Jul 11 22:23:06 UTC 2001

Hi,

I don't know if this is normal, but I have only just noticed this.  Our
master DNS server is running BIND 9.1.0 and the slave server is running BIND
9.1.3.  When I started the slave server, it transfered all the zones over,
and it was was working great.

Notify from my master server was working well, and the slave was picking up
changes to zones in a few seconds.  But then I noticed what might be a
problem.

I started the server up at around 19:39, and all the zones where transfered
at that time (using ls -l) to find the time of creation/update.  Then later
on I went back to the server and noticed all the zone files on the slave had
the time of 21:36.  So I guess they must of all been re-transfered.

No updates were made on the master or slave server during this period.  The
syslog doesn't show any transfers happening, apart from the ones at 19:39.
There is no crontab job which could cause this or anything else on the
server which could do this.  Is BIND just changing the time stamp or is
there a problem?

I very much look forward to your response :-)

Best Wishes,

Graeme