issue Windows2000 DNS - Bind 4

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Jul 10 12:56:47 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> wrote:

>If you're using Active Directory, there's a known bug that causes the
>serial number on the W2K master server to roll back under certain
>circumstances.  When this happens, the BIND slave will stop pulling zone
>transfers.

One thing I did not mention in my recent postings on this subject --
The MS default expire value in the SOA is 86400 (1D).  So after
24 hours, the old zones on the slaves will expire; then the slaves will
accept ANY serial number from the master.  So the zones are back in
synch.  Remember that MS has told me that no zone information is lost
when the serial number decreases; I have not verified this.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov