Multiple MX Entries

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jul 9 15:42:26 UTC 2001

In article <9i8e49$o0d at pub3.rc.vix.com>, mhodge <mhodge at insync.net> wrote:
>Hello,
>I am a novice so please excuse my ignorance.  My question is:
>Can you have multiple MX entries pointing to the same IP Address?  Example
>http://www.abc.com and www.def.com resolving to 208.142.123.3.

You seem to be mixing up several things.  http://hostname URLs are resolved
using A records, not MX records.  MX records are only used for routing
mail.

In either case, you can have multiple A records that point to the same
address (although in most cases CNAME records are preferable, IMHO, so that
you don't have to enter the address redundantly), and you can have multiple
MX records that direct mail for different domains to the same hostname.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA