Bind 8.2.3 Setup for NT

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jul 6 14:01:19 UTC 2001

Eric wrote:

> I'm currently running 4.9.7, and wanting to upgrade to 8.2.3 (sorry,
> employer will
> not let me upgrade 2ith 8.2.4 or newer). If I uninstall it (4.9.7), the Bind
> DNS Icon
> is still within the Control Panel.  Any ideas on how to remove it?

    Look for the .cpl file in system32 and delete it.

> Also
> looking for
> a good on-line source(s) on how to set 8.2.3 up on a NT Server.  The
> documentation
> that came with 8.2.3 has a lot to be desired.

See http://bind8nt.meiway.com/ which has NT specific information. Otherwise
it's just like BIND 8 on a Unix box.  Use named-bootconf.pl to convert your
named.boot file to named.conf.  You will need perl to run this.  Or you can
just convert the file by hand. This is easy or hard depending on how large the
file is. Use the event log to see what errors remain in  the named.conf file and

fix them. The errors get generated when you start named.

Get the DNS and BIND 4th edition book by Cricket Liu from O'Reilly for
BIND specific information.  Don't get the 3rd edition.

    Danny