QUE: xfer-in/out logging

Will Yardley william at hq.newdream.net
Thu Jul 5 18:09:29 UTC 2001

hrmm well i realize this isn't too specific, but....
i didn't have any luck with logging on 9.1.2 - so if possible you might
want to try 9.2.0a2. i'm not trying to say that logging is broken in
earlier versions; only that i never had any luck with it; and as soon as
i installed the newer alpha release, logging started working with my
existing configuration file.

also (yeah it's obvious, but....) if you're running named as user /
group bind, make sure to chown /var/log/named to bind:bind or named
won't be able to write to the file.

our logging statement currently looks like this:

logging {
        channel "named_xfr" {
                file "/var/log/namedxfr.log";
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel "named_log" {
                file "/var/log/named.log";
                print-time yes;
        };
        category "xfer-in" { "named_xfr"; };
        category "xfer-out" { "named_xfr"; };
        category "notify" { "named_xfr"; };
        category "security" { "named_xfr"; };
        category "default" { "named_log"; "default_syslog"; };
};

-w