BIND 8.2.4 : host problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 5 15:55:20 UTC 2001

I suspect that the old "host" command you were using was hacked by IBM to
look at the hosts file. But "host" is supposed to be a *DNS* lookup tool,
not a generic lookup tool. When I want to test my OS'es name resolution
mechanism *as*a*whole* (as opposed to just the DNS part of that mechanism),
I use generic utilities like telnet, FTP, ping, etc. I've also written
trivial little programs in C that are basically just wrappers around
gethostbyname()...

- Kevin