RP records

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jul 5 15:41:12 UTC 2001

In article <9i1vne$ldp at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brad Knowles  <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:

>At 7:25 AM -0400 7/5/01, Duncan Hill wrote:
>
>>  How common are RP records?  I know granite canyon forces me to have one,
>>  but when I do a random set of queries of zones here and there, I get no
>>  RP record.
>
>	In my experience, I have yet to run across a site that actually
>uses them (and I've been involved in doing DNS since something like
>1992).

Me too.  In most domains there's not much need for them.  The information
is usually found in WHOIS records rather than DNS.

They're useful for services like Granite Canyon because you can use them to
host subdomains that aren't registered in WHOIS servers.  GC themselves may
also use them to contact their users, and they're easier to look up and
parse than WHOIS, which is free-form text whose format depends on the
registrar.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA