Help!! What's wrong with my NS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jul 3 15:13:24 UTC 2001

In article <9hsn49$hv2 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Bluefoot <fwa at bluefoot-project.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>Okay - I've got an NS on a cobalt raq - ns1.ais-hosting.net
>
>For some reason, subdomains of ais-hosting.net, when accessed from certain
>ISPs are erroring after they have been resolved. On most ISPs the domains
>resolve straight away with no problems
>
>I think it's got something to do with the fact that we are using apache
>virtual hosting - when I try to access www.ais-hosting.net from and NTLworld
>diallup, the browser reports connecting 212.84.171.172 , then "Web Site
>Found Waiting for reply", then I just get along pause followed (eventually)
>by a DNS error or a 500 error.

ns1.ais-hosting.net is responding, but ns2.ais-hosting.net isn't.

>I *know* that there's nothing wrong with the <Virtual Host> settings -
>firstly because everything was working fine yesterday, and secondly because
>one of the subdomains is on a completely different server, and the same
>virtualhost can be accessed via a different domain (with authority on a
>different NS)
>
>The strange thing is that these subdomains are fine one minute, and then
>they just seem to "drop off" the next day. Any ideas?

Your A records have 5-minute TTLs, so every few minutes the caching server
has to go back to the authoritative servers.  If your servers are having
performance problems (perhaps ns1 can't handle the full load when ns2 is
down), this could cause transient problems like this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA